Malnutrition and Neurological Disorders
- How can malnutrition lead to the development of neurological disorders in children?
- How can malnutrition exacerbate existing neurological conditions?
- How can the problem of malnutrition be solved in a sustainable way?
- How can we propose and implement a solution to malnutrition by introducing a sustainable food source?
- How can the community be involved in solving the problem of malnutrition in order to ensure its long term success?
The students will know and understand…
- Students will understand the role of privilege in nutrition.
- Students will learn about malnutrition and its prevalence in poor communities.
- Students will learn about neurological disorders that are affected by malnutrition, including Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Down Syndrome, learning disabilities, and attention deficit disorders.
- Students will learn about Misioneros Del Camino orphanage in Sacatepéquez, Guatemala, and examine a way to introduce a sustainable food source at the home.
- Students will come up with and implement a solution that involves the community.
The students will be able to…
- Articulate the importance of proper nutrition and its role in brain development
- Explain the effect of malnutrition on certain neurological disorders
- Design and implement a plan to introduce a sustainable food source at Misioneros Del Camino orphanage
Science National Honor Society students will introduce the session with an activity that challenges participants to examine their own privilege and to compare and contrast it to those in poor communities around the world. Students will present research about malnutrition and its consequences, namely how it can lead to the development of neurological disorders or exacerbate existing ones. The session will specifically address Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Down Syndrome, learning disabilities, and attention deficit disorders, conditions that affect many of the children at Misioneros Del Camino orphanage in Sacatepéquez, Guatemala. A solution for implementing a sustainable food source at the home and its potential impact will be discussed.
- Misioneros del Camino Neurological Center: http://www.misionerosdelcamino.org/neurological-clinic/
Goals and Criteria
Foundational Principles, Goals and Criteria
Goal Two: Educate to a deep respect for intellectual values.
- The school provides a rigorous education that incorporates all forms of critical thinking and inspires a life-long love of learning.
Goal Three: Educate to a social awareness which impels to action.
- The school educates to a critical consciousness that leads its total community to analyze and reflect on the values of society and to act for justice
- The school is linked in a reciprocal manner with ministries among people who are poor, marginalized and suffering from injustice.
- In our multicultural world, the school prepares and inspires students to be active, informed, and responsible citizens locally, nationally, and globally.
- The school teaches respect for creation and prepares students to be stewards of the earth’s resources.